Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Costa Rica, the Miniseries, vol. 1

So, due to the fact that I wrote nearly 2000 words as a summary of my trip to Costa Rica, I decided to do this in a fashion more convenient for all of you who want to read it: in the form of an ABC dramatic miniseries. I'll include a few photos in each entry although they may not have anything to do with the particular entry. Also, I didn't feel like proofreading 2000 words of nonsense, so pardon any errors you may encounter.

Now, on to the business of updating you all on my life and times. I left off on about the second day of my trip to Costa Rica for my brother Aaron’s wedding. For those who may have been left worrying, I have healed up well from all of my injuries leading up to and in the first days of my trip to Costa Rica. After escaping near kidnapping along the highway at night and spending a couple days at the empty beaches of Playa Bonita, I headed down to Cahuita National Park, also on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. The town of Cahuita (which lies at the entrance of the national park) has a pretty hippy ambience to it and despite being rather touristy is made up of almost all gravel and dirt roads. The culture of the area has had a strong influence from Jamaican culture due to a long history of immigration from the Jamaican islands. The best part of this culture influx is the prevalence of some good, old spicy Caribbean/Creole cuisine. It’s been nearly a year since I’ve had anything truly spicy outside of what I cook in my own kitchen, so it was truly a treat to eat some spicy jerk chicken from a nice old lady named Edith. My tears of fiery pain were also tears of joy, my dear Edith. Your kitchen is a temple in my book.

My first morning on the Caribbean, I woke up early enough to see the sunset without an alarm...Couldn't really see the sun, but the beach was still very pretty.


Another view of the first beach I was at, Playa Bonita, just north of Limon.One of two dogs chained up at the $10 hostel I stayed at. This one was nice and reminded me of a black Killu, whereas the other one nearly bit my hand off.
A purple crab, who had come out of his hole to hunt small prey...or slow feet. I escaped harm, thankfully.
The view at the entrance to Cahuita National Park, two blocks from my hostel. To me it felt like it could have been a set for the movie Castaway.


Until next time, take care and stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home