Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Library

So, despite the possibility of seeming pretentious (which I am), I figured I'd show you what my real job has been down here in Ecuador...reading. I figured maybe some of you would be remotely interested in what kinds of junk has been passing through my brain in the last 8 months. Fiction, Non-fiction, Humanist, Post-modern, Christian, dog training, and more. My mindset while I'm here is to read as much as I can and to read stuff I wouldn't normally read. So, in other words, don't judge me just because you might not have the taste to read some of the stuff I've read...Well, here's the list, if you're curious if I liked or hated a particular book, just drop me a comment or an email.

About A Boy, Nick Hornby
Blindness, José Saramago
Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller
Breakfast of Champions, Kurt Vonnegut
Cesar's Way, Cesar Millan
Click for Joy! (Clicker Training for Dogs), Melissa C. Alexander
Death in the Afternoon, Ernest Hemingway
El Coronel No Tiene Quien Le Escriba, Gabriel García Marquez
End of the Spear, Steve Saint
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson
Galapagos, Kurt Vonnegut
How Soccer Explains the World, Franklin Foer
La Aventura del Tocador de Señoras, Eduardo Mendoza
Marley & Me, John Grogan
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
More Than a Carpenter, Josh McDowell
Passion and Purity, Elizabeth Elliot
Running With The Bulls: My Years With The Hemingways, Valerie Hemingway
Seeing, José Saramago
Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
The Best American Travel Writing, 2000, Bill Bryson
The Bold Experiment: JFK's Peace Corps, Gerard T. Rice
The Inferno of Dante, Dante
The Innocents Abroad, Mark Twain
The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades, Robert Spencer
The Savage, My Kinsman, Elizabeth Elliot
The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut
The Spanish Civil War: A Very Short Introduction, Helen Graham
The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
The Villagers (Huasipungo), Jorge Icaza

4 Comments:

At 3/03/2007 1:51 PM, Blogger SergtPeppa said...

Howdy! This is Nick (in Libertad) Found your blog through another Peace Corps site, so may drop by and make comments if that's all right with you. Your reading list is much more extensive than mine (I think I've read two books while I've been here)

 
At 3/06/2007 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan- Email me at aaron@ppdpainting.com. I need to talk to you about Costa Rica. Thanks!
Aaron

 
At 3/06/2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, hi, I miss you, are you coming back soon? I've read several of those books on your list and perhaps someday we can get together to discuss them? :) Yes, discussing books and smoking cigars--we'd be so civilized! :)

 
At 7/02/2007 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller --> good, I read it las Christmas
El Coronel No Tiene Quien Le Escriba, Gabriel García Marquez --> I just finished reading it, what did you think of it?
End of the Spear, Steve Saint --> Excellent! Have you seen the movie? Let me know if you want to.
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis --> An all-time favourite and classic. Have you found the link between what C.S. Lewis says in that and Professor Kirk in Narnia?
Passion and Purity, Elizabeth Elliot --> haven't read it, but I have read several of her books.
The Savage, My Kinsman, Elizabeth Elliot --> Yeah, very fitting for working with indigenous people in Ecuador, lol.
The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis --> disturbingly realistic.

Those are all the comments I could think of for the moment. ¡Hasta pronto!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home