Saturday, January 06, 2007

Mark Twain

So I finally finished Mark Twain's 500-page travelogue about Europe and the Holy Land, The Innocents Abroad. In the last chapter there was a quote that I really liked and I figured I'd share it with you all:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

Anyways, I don't think a commentary is necessary so I'll leave it at that.

I'm now reading "Seeing" by José Saramago (thanks for the Christmas present, Dan) which is supposedly the sequel to "Blindness". So far it's slightly above mediocre, I'm hoping it'll pick up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home