Monday, August 06, 2007

Cuenca, San Pedro, Father's Day

As I've mentioned before, I'm way behind on the blog entries that I'm posting and this one is going to be from over a month ago, but it'll be news to you all.

Some Inca or pre-Incan ruins, the birthplace of the big cheese 400 or so years ago...



At the river in Cuenca with Killu

Down at the river with my friend Belén

Another picture of the river

The buildings which gave Cuenca it's name after Cuenca in Spain with it's houses hanging on cliffs.

Killu looking to play

Yet another bridge/river picture


The banner of the school where I was working this past year during the parade for San Pedro festivities


The ever present flags...side-note, being one of these flag bearers is a big deal here.

A pretty sunset over the 'bull ring' during San Pedro

Son of one of my 'neighbors'...in other words, some kid.

Another picture of the 'bull ring'

A picture of the indigenous community where I work one day a week on a (typically) rainy day

An arm wrestling match, as part of the father's day party's festivities in Pompeya (comunity from the above picture). Notice how these kids were holding their hands for the arm wrestle...weird.

Three women participated in a speed-eating contest...somehow the same women who refuse to talk in public got up the gumption to eat a huge piece of corn in 30 seconds

Another picture in Pompeya...sheep and pigs, typical scenery.

Me, playing soccer with some of my kids. The kid who's about to kick has a heck of a leg...

The cake I baked and frosted for Father's Day. It's so strange here for a man to cook that I was getting cake orders after bringing this cake up for the Father's Day party in Pompeya.

Killu playing with my neighbor's dog, Kuka.

As you can tell, he's more excited to play than she is.

The school up in Pompeya where I work one day a week


Well, the pictures in the blog (other than the Cuenca ones) are a good insight into my daily life, which is probably one part of this blog that has been lacking. Hope you enjoy.

Also, for another book which helps get a good perspective on life in Ecuador (and even though it's not specifically Peace Corps like the book I suggested last week, it's more modern, written in the 80's), buy this book: The Panama Hat Trail

1 Comments:

At 8/28/2007 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this San Pedro the same as the Cayambe one? And I love that people who refuse to talk can wolf down corn like there's no tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home