Saturday, June 02, 2007

COME VISIT ME!!!

Hey friends and family,

Lately I've been really wishing I had visitors like the rest of my Peace Corps friends, but I realized that maybe I haven't made it easy enough for some of you. So, here's the deal. First of all, if you're worried that it's insanely poor down here and you won't be able to find a toilet that's not just a hole in the ground, I have one thing to tell you: you're stupid. Obviously, Ecuador isn't the richest country in the world, but it's certainly much more developed than you'd probably picture in, let's say, Africa. In fact, Ecuador's becoming more and more a big tourist destination for Americans and Europeans. We have a little bit of everything from world-class resorts to backpacker-style adventure sports and camping. Even in the poor town where I live, my house is probably just as nice as the place you probably lived during college, and maybe even nicer. Now, on to the important part: the cost.

So, from people that I've talked to and from my own online searches, round-trip flights to and from Quito, Ecuador are about $500-600, which is pretty reasonable, since it's on another continent. If you don't speak Spanish (and even if you do), there's no reason to worry, because I'd come pick you up at the airport, it's only a few hours from where I live. The airport is really small and straight-forward, and everyone you could conceivably need to talk to inside the airport speaks English (if you don't speak English OR Spanish...then that's another problem...). Next, the costs involved in travelling a bit within Ecuador would probably run you about $200 for a week (which is about what I make in a month, for a point of reference). A week goes by REALLY fast down here, so those of you that can afford two weeks, are certainly welcome to come for two weeks. If you want to stay for even longer, that would be even better, I love visitors, you have no idea how lonely Peace Corps can be at times. Also, if you're worried about travelling by yourself that you wouldn't have anything to do, don't worry, I'd take time off work to travel around with you (as if I really had anything THAT important that I'd miss).

As far as time frames go, here's the deal. The first week in September, my mom is going to be here, so that's not an option. And Christmas and New Years, I'll be in the States. Apart from that, you have until July of next year to visit me...so get to planning. Well, that's the jist of my tour brochure. In case that all was too dry for you, I'll add a little emotion. I really do love Ecuador and I think you'll love it, too, when (not if) you come visit! Hope to have you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home