Saturday, July 07, 2007

Walden

So for the last month I've been struggling through Walden by H.D. Thoreau. There are some parts that I really loved, but I seriously doubt the credibility of anyone who says they love the whole book. In any case, like I said, there are some great gems in the books, and I thought I'd share a few with you all.

"
Be sure that you give the poor the aid they most need, though it be your example which leaves them far behind. If you give money, spend yourself with it, and do not merely abandon it to them."p.56

"
Some show their kindness to the poor by employing them in their kitchens. Would they not be kinder if they employed themselves there? You boast of spending a tenth part of your income in charity; maybe you should spend the nine tenths so, and done with it." p.56

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life" p.66

"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand; instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail." p.66

"Every man is the builder of a temple, called his body, to the god he worships, after a style purely his own, nor can he get off by hammering marble instead. We are all sculptors and painters, and our material is our own flesh and blood and bones. Any noblenessbegins at once to refine a man's features, any meanness or sensuality to imbrute them." p. 150

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home