Friday, June 09, 2006

My Peace Corps Reading List

Below are the books I'm bringing to Ecuador with me. I don't know if I'll get to all 36 of them (about 15 lbs. worth of literature), but I'm going to try and be a reading machine while I'm there:

Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller
End of the Spear, Steve Saint
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
The Savage, My Kinsman, Elizabeth Elliot
The Spanish Civil War: A Short Introduction, Helen Graham
Vanishing Voices, Nettle & Romaine
Blindness, José Saramago
Death and Money in the Afternoon, Adrian Shubert
Death in the Afternoon, Ernest Hemingway
Don Quijote de la Mancha, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
Homage to Catalonia, George Orwell
Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Journey to Portugal, José Saramago
More Than a Carpenter, Josh McDowell
Nine Stories, J.D. Salinger
Passion and Purity, Elizabeth Elliot
Spain: A History, Raymond Carr
The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
Arms and the Man, George Bernard Shaw
Confieso Que He Vivido, Pablo Neruda
Del Amor y Otros Demonios, Gabriel García Márquez
El Cid, Unknown
Five Cities of Refuge, Kushner & Mamet
How to Stay Alive in the Woods, Bradford Angier
La Aventura del Tocador de Señoras, Eduardo Mendoza
La Verdad Sobre el Caso Savolta, Eduardo Mendoza
Medieval Europe: A Short Sourcebook, C. Warren Hollister, et. al.
The Odyssey, Homer
The Wine Avenger: Become a Wine Genius in One Hour, Willie Gluckstern
Bíblia Sagrada, Nova Versão Internacional
Holy Bible, English Standard Version
My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers
Portuguese Dictionary, Harper-Collins
Santa Biblia, Nueva Versión Internacional
Ecuador, The Let's Go Travel Guide

Feel free to comment on anything you love, hate, or have never heard of...and if you're a fellow PC/Ecuador volunteer, I'm open to book lending/exchanges.

2 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Quite the list you have! A lot of good, but sometimes heavy reading!

Take care, I'll be back often and say hello!

 
At 7/20/2006 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the hemingway books are great, if you haven't read them yet. mere christianity is alright; cs lewis just isn't my cup of tea. i read the Bible in high school...just skip straight to the new testament, the old one takes way too long and i didn't learn much. haha.

mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home